2018 ACMS Research Poster Symposium
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
North Florida Regional Medical Center, South Tower
Deadline for Submissions: March 15, 2018
The Alachua County Medical Society (ACMS) is issuing a Call for Scientific Abstracts for the 2018 ACMS Research Poster Symposium.
General Poster Symposium Category: Clinical Case Report
Platform Presentation: The authors of the 50 Abstracts with the highest score in advanced judging will be invited to present their posters at the 2018 ACMS Research Poster Symposium event on Tuesday evening, May 15th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. At the competition, onsite judges will review the posters and select the three highest scoring posters as the winners of the event.
Rules for Submission of Posters:
- Presenting author(s) must be a resident, fellow or medical student in Alachua County
- Abstracts must be emailed to email@example.com no later than March 15, 2018 (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- Presenting author(s) MUST be able to attend the symposium on Tuesday evening, May 15, 2018
- Applicants are limited to ONE abstract submission
- Each author may present ONE poster only
The three highest scoring projects will each receive a $500 scholarship from the ACMS and be automatically accepted into the Florida Medical Association 2018 David Paulus Poster Symposium in Orlando Florida, August 4, 2018. To qualify for prizes: author must upload abstract by March 15th for advance judging AND be available to present the poster on Tuesday, May 15th during the General Poster Competition at NFRMC from 6:00 – 8:00pm. The winners will be announced at the end of the evening on May 15th. All Poster Presenters are invited to attend the General Poster Competition dinner event on May 15th. A formal presentation of the awards will be presented to the top three posters at the May 22nd ACMS Annual Awards Meeting Dinner. The three winners must also submit their posters in E-format for the FMA research poster competition on August 4, 2018 in Orlando.
Advanced judging: Once all abstracts are uploaded by March 15th, a team of judges will review all abstracts based on the following CRITERIA:
- Project/case report design and methods: Project/clinical vignette is clearly designed; scientific/clinical procedures are appropriate and well organized; Author uses a logical scientific method and appropriate methodology/relevant history, physicals, and complementary studies are included; Presenter exhibits a good understanding of the methods used/case report.
- Data: Effort has been made to identify all significant variables affecting the experimental results/case report, and those variables not manipulated as part the experimental design have been controlled or there is an organized and logical algorithm of case presentation; Clinical topic is interesting and relevant to scientific knowledge; Data is presented in a clear and understandable manner with an effort to eliminate bias.
- Discussion/Conclusion: The effect of experimental error was estimated and considered when drawing the discussion/conclusion or the discussion/conclusion are relevant and pertinent to the case; Potential pitfalls and limitations of the project/case have been addressed; The discussion and conclusion use relevant sources to compare and contrast the information that exists in literature; the conclusion is consistent with the date and/or observations/case.
- Organization/Visual Presentation: Visuals are easy to read and logically organized; Grammar and syntax are correct.
On-site Judging: In addition to the above criteria, poster presenters will be available for questions on the night of the symposium and will be evaluated based on the author’s ability to achieve the following:
- Explain the project/case report concisely
- Clarify the relevance of the project/case
- Answer questions thoroughly
Competition Poster Specifications:
Physical Poster size for NFRMC presentation: 40.97inches x 23.04 inches.
E-Poster formatting Guidelines: (for winners that are selected to present at the FMA meeting)
- Slide/e-poster size: 40.97 inches by 23.04 inches. Presentation slides should be set to this size, which is a 16:9 ratio at 1080p resolution (1920×1080 pixels)
- Save presentation as .pptx to ensure all of your embedded images and videos are included
- Check all of your hyperlinks to make sure they direct to your desired slide
- Save all mathematical formulas to images (.jpg, .png) when embedding or uploading your Excel file along with your presentation
- Embedded videos can only be displayed in the following formats: .mov, .mp4, .m4v and mpeg. Upload the video file with your presentation.
The FMA website has templates for the E-poster, guidelines and technical support:
Content and Ethical Considerations: Posters are intended to convey a scientific result and may not contain advertisements for commercial interests, products or services. Volunteer physician members of the ACMS will make final decisions about eligibility. The ACMS reserves the right to deny any application that, in the opinion of the reviewers, is deemed promotional, commercial or unethical.
ACMS Research Poster Symposium is sponsored by: